Propaganda & Mass Persuasion: Vogue's Eye View of A Woman's Weapons

Sunday, March 18, 2007

Vogue's Eye View of A Woman's Weapons


"I am a woman, and I have two major weapons. I have my hands. I have my heart."
Reading just the first line of this editorial from the number one fashion magazine, Vogue, gave me chills. I guess that is what the editor was trying to achieve from it's readers when she wrote this. I know that this editorial is just a piece of the bigger picture of propaganda, but it does it's job. As a woman myself, I felt a sense of pride and duty after reading the whole piece. The piece does one thing that is really strong and that is that it pulls on the heartstrings of every woman who reads it. While doing so, it also tells women what to do.

"I can pay incredibly stiff taxes with an equally stiff upper lip. I can
accept shortages without complaining; I can face the possibilities of severe rationing without going to pieces....I can fight. I can win. And I can look damn pretty right through it all."


What an exellent piece of propaganda. It still speaks to women more that 60 years later. It makes me want to do all those things and I know that it is propaganda

1 Comments:

Blogger A. Mattson said...

A good post, illustration and a good quote.

It is a great piece of wartime propaganda. And there is nothing wrong with being moved by it. How many years could this idealistic spirit of self-sacrifice be perpetuated? After a while these kinds of noble appeals stop being effective.

4/11/2007 9:38 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home