Propaganda & Mass Persuasion: Right or Left in Journalism?

Wednesday, April 26, 2006

Right or Left in Journalism?

Fox Portrays a War of Good and Evil, and Many Applaud

Is there right and wrong when is comes to journalism? Is there inhumanity and humanity within journalism? Do the news networks have an opinion? Are American journalist American?

Osama bin Laden, according to Fox News Channel anchors, analysts and correspondents, is "a dirtbag," "a monster" overseeing a "web of hate." His followers in Al Qaeda are "terror goons." Taliban fighters are "diabolical" and "henchmen."
This is a topic that has been related to every war that has ever taken place since the start of journalism. However, it has never been a center of controversy the way it has in this war. The “War on Terror,” and the “War for freedom,” is American’s war in the Middle East. It is our war, that we have created do to our patriotism for our country. The question is should it be our journalist’s war as well? I think this is a mute point and cannot be argued because as the documentary on Aljazeera said there is a “mirage” that blankets our sight. We are born indoctrinated with our western perspective, as others are indoctrinated with theirs. To say that our side is the right side is only what we know to be true. Therefore we can say that there are two sides of every story but at the moral heart beat of our society we can only HONESTLY see one side (USA) as the right, just, and truthful side. Do I mean in terms of political view? Absolutely not, I am talking about natural rights as Lincoln spoke of and as Fredrick Douglass proclaimed. I may live in the east coast and you may live on the west but we are all Americans. You may be a member of the left wing I a right wing conservative but we are all Americans. North vs. South civil war breaks out in America we were all still Americans. Although the civil battle we fight now has become far more complex and has become a battle of intellectual, and political propaganda. This war is about ratings and acts on multiple levels yet we are all still American. And as an American I am someone who is foreign not to my country but, to my history and ethnicity. I have been infused by the American ideal; I have been swept by the current of American propaganda. As Creel describes I feel as though everyone round me is being brain washed but I myself are free. However, the reality is I am trapped and that trap we coined the “American dream,” let’s not be naive. In the final analysis, Mr. Ailes said, "I don't believe that democracy and terrorism are relative things you can talk about, and I don't think there's any moral equivalence in those two positions." He added: "If that makes me a bad guy, tough luck.” “I'm still getting the ratings."

John Anthony Termini

1 Comments:

Blogger A. Mattson said...

Back to the orginal post: There is no moral equivalence between democracy and terrorism, but who said there was?

Yes, we are "all Americans" despite our political differences but the attempt of FOX commentators to reduce the complexity of the issues to a patriotic litmus test of us vs. them, good vs. evil, democracy vs. terrorism does not help the public understand just how complicated the world is these days. FOX news illuminates the conservative perspective and for that alone it is valuable, but relying on FOX alone for the news of the world is dangerous for the public and the president.

5/01/2006 11:50 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home